Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Story Behind The NEW Grim Edventures [Part One]

Well, here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the moment none of you have been waiting for: I am going to discuss the creation of The NEW Grim Edventures of Ed, Edd n Eddy. Yes, I know a thesis shouldn't say "I am going to discuss..." Get off my back!! GEEZ!!

Naturally, all stories start as ideas, often inspired by other stories. Whether fictional or not, these other stories can have a big impact on how the story comes out. Now, you all probably know about Technomaru, but I'm getting ahead of myself. We need to start from the very beginning.

Childhood Stories

When I was young, I had a lot of ideas for Ed, Edd n Eddy fan fictions. This was long before I heard the term "fan fiction," as I rarely got on the Internet for anything other than cartoonnetwork.com. The stories I wrote were written as very sloppy screenplays. The first book started where "The Eds are Coming, the Eds are Coming" left off. The Eds eventually meet their salvation: Eddd, Edddd, n Eddea [pronounced "Ed DEE" with a lot more emphasis on the DEE], but the less I say about these stories the better. There was, however, one story that I should bring up: It was a crossover between Ed, Edd n Eddy, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, and Codename: Kids Next Door.

My beginnings on fanfiction.net

Now, the way I was introduced to fanfiction.net was simple. I was Googling something (I think it was about the quickly cancelled Underfist spin-off), and I ran across an image that linked to the Ed Fanon Wiki, which I previously had no idea existed. The page was about the story The Grim EDventures of Ed, Edd n Eddy. I was hooked on the story. I read every chapter in a few months. However, I was disappointed to find that the story hadn't been updated in over three years. It still hasn't been updated. I don't think Technomaru will ever finish it to be quite honest.

I eventually decided to join Fanfiction.net on March 31, 2012. I was heartbroken to find that I would have to wait until April 2, 2012 to post a story. My first story was Ed, Edd n Eddy: The Sweet Escape, and I've got to say: It was terrible. These eight chapters are probably the worst things I had written in about three years. The James's were Gary-Stus; the obscure references were all over the place; the plot was terrible... I was only 14 years old at the time, and I had no idea what I was doing. I decided to get a Beta Reader, which amounted to me pitching an idea and his saying "Interesting." I don't mean to talk bad about him, but that's all he would say. I eventually decided I was fine with doing the stories myself. I had other ideas for stories: like The Remarkable Adventures of Sonic and Koozaxx, which I eventually cancelled. What you are being linked to is a wiki page that is under my user space at the Sonic Fanon Wiki, which means you can't really search the Sonic Fanon Wiki for that page, but you could potentially find it on Google. The story was a bit of mess too, but I did have a little more restraint with what I posted on the wiki pages ...mostly because I was embarrassed by my first Ed, Edd n Eddy story. I posted two chapters of a redux of the story involving one OC named Jack, but I think I've just about given up on this story.

I started a fan film called Ed, Edd n Eddy: the Live Action Movie in April 2013 with a friend with whom I've since lost contact. The script was pretty bad. It was about the Eds trying to save their high school over Summer Vacation, about three years after Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show. I cancelled it because I was tired of working on it and because nobody was truly willing to be an actor for me. As of writing this, I live in a small town. I still get comments about this project, and I'd like to just move on. However, this was how I joined the Ed Fanon Wiki and Earth 2 Edd, which are two things I've greatly enjoyed using.

I checked out the author notes to his story about the Old and New Cartoon Network characters battling each other (I refuse to read it for reasons I'll explain in a little bit), and it seems he's been very depressed lately. Thus, I'll make this quick. I'm no longer a fan of the series. Looking back, its quality went through some very exponential decay, starting very early on and not stopping until it was an absolute mess. I tried writing my own ending with no success, so I figured: Why not make my own story?

Thus, with a little encouragement from a friend at Earth 2 Edd, The NEW Grim Edventures of Ed, Edd n Eddy was born.

Oh, I suppose I should explain myself. I'm not reading Technomaru's story on Old CN versus New CN because I would like to write my own Cartoon Network Mega-Crossover, and I don't want to be influenced by his story. I did, however, read the first chapter of "Cartoon Network Laff-a-Lympics."

I suppose I could wait until next I update to discuss episode one, making this post "Episode Zero." However, I don't like the idea of making an episode zero, as it makes things confusing, and I think there are some who agree. Here goes nothing.


Episode One "Dream a Little Ed"

Now, this first episode is something that I'll be replacing with a much more well-written version. I really don't like how it can fit onto my computer screen with little effort.

I decided to make this story take place after Season 1 of Ed, Edd n Eddy because of various things. I felt that it needed to not be the first episode in a sense. I wanted this to be written in an alternate universe where Ed, Edd n Eddy was cancelled after the first season and Danny Antonucci gave the characters to Maxwell Atoms for his Grim Adventures series. I guess my philosophy was that Billy & Mandy came after Grim, but I guess I didn't think too hard. Maxwell Atoms stated in an interview that he made a short film called "Billy & Mandy" (an animation cell can be seen in the Grim Adventures video game), and that he later discovered that the Grim Reaper was what was missing from the show. Maybe I was thinking that Danny was missing something, but then, where did Dracula, Jack, Nergal, Nigel Planter, and all the other characters come from? I just find this philosophy hard to believe. I'm thinking of changing the back story, so that this is a reboot of Ed, Edd n Eddy and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. Well, that's the cosmic explanation, at least; it's not really a reboot, but I still like to explain––Oh, never mind.

I was really lazy with this story. I really didn't believe in "Show, don't tell" as one of the first reviews pointed out. Thanks, dude. I honestly thought he was talking about a television show at first (laughs). Ed mistook Grim for Kermit the Frog, but I would not do this joke now. It's not that stupid people do stupid things for no reason. No, stupid people do stupid things for stupid reasons. Watch some bad episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants (preferably those with Patrick Star) to see what I'm talking about. If you like that sort of thing, then that's okay. I'm not going to judge you for liking a bad cartoon.

As for Eddy's incantation, this idea came from an abandoned project. It was an original idea initially going by the misnomer Dexter Bravo J. This idea later changed to the acronym GTCXJ. I believe it stood for Golden Taxi Carbo/Carbon _____ J, but this was abandoned. I don't know what the "X" stood for, by the way. It was just a combination of some of my favorite letters of the English alphabet. I don't remember much about what this project was about, to be honest, but I still worked this into the episode, for some reason.

The line about Eddy's Yo Mama joke being so amazing that "it must be censored" came from an episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast entitled "Batmantis," which was about people who worked on Batman. As for the idea of Eddy's Brother having a dark book, I forgot until writing the rough draft of this, but it actually came from the video game Ed, Edd n Eddy Scam of the Century. One of my "books" was going to feature an adaptation of that story, and it involved the occult (not that I knew that word back then), because there was no other explanation for the countless enemies you fight in Ed's story.

I believe Grim actually referenced Billy & Mandy when he mentioned "more children who aren't scared of [him]," which was a mistake on my part.

There's not much else. I suppose I should do Episode Two now.

Episode Two "Skeletons in the Water Ed"

I think I may have even less to say about this episode. 

I wanted to differentiate myself from Technomaru's work by adding a subplot about the kids gradually realizing that Grim was the Eds' best friend forever. This was forgotten by Episode Five, by the way. I think the story was better for it, the way the original Grim Adventures was better for it. My desire for the kids to graduating realize Grim's existence is why the kids forget about Grim at the end of the chapter.

I should probably explain the episode titles. Basically, I was in the car, which had a DVD player, and I had the "first season" of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy on DVD. I wanted to watch Episode Eight, then when I was done, I wanted to watch Episode One. I decided to make a game of going from one end to the other. So I watched Episodes Eight, One, Seven, Two, Six, Three, Five, and Four in that order. That's how I titled the first eight episodes. I took a segment from Episode Eight and changed one word to "Ed," and that became the title for Episode One. I took a segment from Episode One and changed one word to "Ed," and that became the title for my Episode Two. This continued until just recently. I had decided a long time ago, not to continue it after Episode Eight, but it took a long time to get to Episode Nine. I don't know if I've explained this well enough or not (laughs).

I think there's a line in this chapter about redundancy that confuses me. I don't understand what exactly was redundant about the situation I was referring to. I guess there might have been a joke I cut out of this episode.

The animals in this story reference the Furious Five from Kung Fu Panda. The reference doesn't make sense, but at least it's not distracting.

In short, there isn't much to say about this episode. It's just not that great.

General Update

This isn't part of the retrospective, but I didn't want to make two separate blog posts. I've been very distracted from writing lately due to Pokémon Sapphire Version, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Gold Version, and all of my Christmas gifts. I do hope to get an episode of The NEW Grim Edventures of Ed, Edd n Eddy out by the end of the first week of January 2015 because that's around the time I'll be starting a new semester of high school. I appreciate you guys being so patient.


Closing Thoughts

Yeah, this story was not off to a very good start. I've got to be honest, I don't become proud of an episode until Episode Six. Well, until next time I write one of these, [insert generic tagline here].

No comments:

Post a Comment